Which is the best tool for small business DIY SEOers?
In today’s episode we are taking a look at some of the popular SEO tools on the market. Not with our SEO Consultant hats on but with our small business hats on.
Good SEO tools don’t come cheap and as a small business owner, trying to either manage their own SEO or at least take an interest in what their SEO agency is up to, it can be hard to decide which tool is best.
Today we’re going to look at the pros and cons of each tool and the cost involved, to help you make more informed decisions.
Tune in to learn:
- Which tools are the best for keyword research
- Our favourite tech analysis tool
- The best backlink tool
- The overall winner of our fave SEO tool discussion
Aidan has been in SEO since before Google and is a certified Google AdWords Partner. He does SEO and AdWords management for SMEs and advises on online marketing strategy through his business Adsurf.
Listen to the podcast
- Overview: SEMrush offers great help in making keyword choices when you need to juggle both SEO and PPC. It delivers much of the data immediately (unlike other tools where you have to wait for weeks).
- Annual cost: $839.
- Years in market: 7.
- Free trial: Free trial.
- 5 projects, 500 keywords, 10,000 backlinks.
- Keyword tracker: search by phrase match, related keywords, database of keyword for which websites rank so you can enter in a competitor’s site and see what they rank for. For analysis, you get search volume, number of competitors, CPC, difficulty analysis.
- Rank tracking: Up to 90 days of data, goes 100 positions deep.
- Tech Audit: Checks site for issues such as css errors, 301 redirects, broken links, w3c compliance, tips on how to fix, mobile friendliness, advice re on page issues.
- On page grader: Analyse page for on page issues, explanations, not much mobile level advice.
- Backlinks: Basic back link analysis, displays no follow.
- Overview: A tool that combines auditing and reporting in one suite.
- Annual cost: Around US$1188 or Auditor only US$324.
- Years in market: 8.
- Free trial: 30 Days.
Unlimited projects, and keywords, up to 50,000 backlinks.
- Keyword tracker: No.
- Rank tracking: No.
- Tech Audit: Yes.
- On page issues: Yes.
- Backlinks: No.
- Overview: A suite of SEO tools, great for education, a good place for beginners.
- Annual cost: Around US$1188.
- Years in market: 11.
- Free trial: 30 days with credit card.
Up to 5 active campaigns or projects and up to 10,000 back links per site.
- Keyword tracker: 300 per campaign, analyse keyword difficulty and SERP analysis.
- Rank tracking: Track where you rank for up to 300 keywords in Google, Yahoo, Bing, 50 positions deep, can track 3 competitors, compare current ranks with previous results.
- Tech Audit: Broken links, links on pages, redirects, long title tags, duplicate content.
- On page issues: Analyse 1 keyword at a time, advice on fixing on page issues, not much mobile optimisation tips.
- Backlinks: Open site explorer, number of links, title, url, anchor text, domain authority, spam score up to 10,000 links.
- Overview: A great tool for learning toyour backlinks or your competitors backlinks.
Annual cost: AUD$590.
Years in market: Not sure.
Free trial: Yes
- Keyword tracker: No.
- Rank tracking: No.
- Tech Audit: No.
- On page issues: No.
- Backlinks: Yes.
- Overview: Track your backlinks, keywords, brand mentions and know what your competitors are doing
- Annual cost: Around US$2148 – monthly subscription
- Years in market: 4
- Free trial: 14 days with credit card.
- Keywords: New keywords tool launched.
- Finds links
- Reviews link quality
- Shows details of new, lost and broken links
- Provides domain strength
- Backlink research
- Linking page url, title, alt in image tags, no follow, domain authority
- Anchor text, and url
- Overview: All round SEO tool – audit & on-page, rank tracking, backlinks, link building tracking
- Annual cost: Pro version A$495 with 6 months algos then A$125 per year for algo updates
- Years in market: Unknown
- Free trial: Yes
- Keyword tracker: Research? Keyword research yes
- Rank tracking: Yes – very configurable, competitors tracked too
- Tech Audit: Yes – great for quick audits of internal links, redirects 404’s and more
- On page issues: Yes
- Backlinks: Yes and also pulls info from GSC and GA into reports
Share the meme
Share the love!
And big thanks to Daryl Ansell for his lovely review.