Let’s bust the myths and focus on fixes
The words “duplicate content penalty” strike fear in the hearts of business owners.
And there are a lot of myths surrounding this topic so today we’re going to bust some. In this episode I’m going to take you through what duplicate content really means, how to find it, the different types of duplicate content and some easy fixes.
“Duplicate content generally refers to substantive blocks of content within or across domains that either completely match other content or are appreciably similar. Mostly, this is not deceptive in origin…..”
Tune in to learn:
- What is duplicate content?
- Is there a duplicate content penalty?
- How can duplicate content impact your website?
- What are the different types of duplicate content?
- Some useful duplicate content finding tools
- How to fix duplicate content issues.
Example of Rel Canonical code
<link rel=”canonical” href=”https://pigletstore.com/jumpers/pigletwaistcoat/” />
Pagination duplicate content fix
In 2011 Google added a pair of tags rel=”prev” and rel=”next” to help indicate that content was paginated, not duplicated. Use rel=”prev” and rel=”next” tags to help Google understand that this is not a duplicate but a pagination. Tag rel=”prev” stands for the previous page, while rel=”next” for the next one.
How does Google handle duplicate content?
I could listen to Matt say Stratford upon Avon all day.
There is no duplicate content penalty
Duplicate content video from Greg Grothaus of Google
Listen to the podcast
Share the meme
Take the next step
Ready to get started with SEO? Here are a few things you can try…
- Sign up to my newsletter for a free SEO checklist.
- Join my SEO support group on Facebook
- Start the 10-Day SEO Challenge
Share the love
And big thanks to Amy Wyhoon for her lovely review.
Useful links from this pod
- Google’s guidelines on duplicate content.
- Screaming Frog SEO Spider
- Google Webmaster Central – Canonical links
- Google Webmaster Central – Reunifying duplicate content
- Google Webmaster Central – Guidance on building high quality content
- Scraper Report Tool
- DCMA site
- DCMA template
- Host lookup service.
- Google reporting service